Transition Year is a one-year programme which provides a bridge enabling students to make the transition to the Senior Cycle more successfully.
It offers a different agenda to the other five examination-driven years of secondary school. More than in any other year, it is the level of input from each pupil that is significant.
We offer a broad and varied programme of activities throughout the year, which aims to introduce students to new and interesting subjects and allow them to develop new life skills.
A planned schedule of activities is developed for each term, ranging from trips and excursions to workshops, work experience and community care. A particular highlight is the annual TY Musical which involves every student, whether on stage or behind the scenes.
It is the development of independent learning, the commitment with which the wide-ranging activities are engaged and the support and encouragement of parents/guardians which leads to the success of each Transition Year.
The aims of the programme are threefold:
- Education for maturity with an emphasis on social awareness and increased social competence
- Education through the experience of adult working life as a basis for personal development and maturity
- Promotion of general, technical and academic skills with an emphasis on interdisciplinary and self-directed learning
There are four elements to the Transition Year Programme:
- Core subjects - taken by all students for the entire year
- Rotation subjects - students will study each subject in each rotation for one-third of the year.
- Extra Activities - A wide range of activities outside the set timetable.
Transition Year Dates
Sorry, there are no current diary dates.