Transition Year is a one-year programme which provides a bridge enabling students to make the transition to the Senior Cycle more successfully.
It offers a different agenda to the other five examination-driven years of secondary school. More than in any other year, it is the level of input from each pupil that is significant.
We offer a broad and varied programme of activities throughout the year, which aims to introduce students to new and interesting subjects and allow them to develop new life skills.
A planned schedule of activities is developed for each term, ranging from trips and excursions to workshops, work experience and community care. A particular highlight is the annual TY Musical which involves every student, whether on stage or behind the scenes.
It is the development of independent learning, the commitment with which the wide-ranging activities are engaged and the support and encouragement of parents/guardians which leads to the success of each Transition Year.
The aims of the programme are threefold:
- Education for maturity with an emphasis on social awareness and increased social competence
- Education through the experience of adult working life as a basis for personal development and maturity
- Promotion of general, technical and academic skills with an emphasis on interdisciplinary and self-directed learning
There are four elements to the Transition Year Programme:
- Core subjects - taken by all students for the entire year
- Rotation subjects - students will study each subject in each rotation for one-third of the year.
- Extra Activities - A wide range of activities outside the set timetable.
Transition Year Dates
23 Feb 202013:00 to 18:00TY Musical Rehearsal
27 Feb 2020Musical Rehearsal
5 Mar 2020Musical Rehearsal
6 Mar 202009:00 to 16:00TY Musical Rehearsal
8 Mar 202012:00 to 18:00TY Musical Rehearsal
11 Mar 2020to
12 Mar 2020TY Musical
19 Mar 2020Driver Theory/First Aid
26 Mar 2020Driver Theory/First Aid
2 Apr 2020Butlers Chocolates
23 Apr 2020Fire Safety Training Group 1
30 Apr 2020Fire Safety Training Group 2
14 May 2020Graduation Preparation
21 May 2020Graduation Preparation
22 May 2020Graduation
22 May 202014:00TY Graduation @ 14:00
25 May 2020to
29 May 2020EMBER Training Week
Adding dates to your calendar
Click the relevant icon to add individual diary dates to your calendar.
In Outlook you will need to click the 'Save' button.
Subscribe to the whole calendar
Please find below instructions on how to configure some of the most popular calendar programmes to automatically display dates from the public address of the school calendar feed, which is:
Feed address: https://www.rathdownschool.ie/ical.ics